Over the winter of 2005 a group of ladies tried out the Handbells and in January 2006 a core group of ladies agreed to form a choir. The cost of purchasing our own Handbells was the first hurdle. To raise our initial funds, a Concert was held in St Ninian’s with Upper Nithsdale Choir and The Stewartry Handbell Tune Ringing Group. We also we supplied teas/coffees for a visiting Car Rally.
Application for funding through ‘Awards for All’ and our ‘Local Area Committee’ proved successful and in November 2006 all monies were insitu to purchase a set of Schulmeric Enhanced Set of 37 Handbells with cases, cushions, tables and assorted music.
We are a fully constituted group.
Our objectives are:
- To encourage the art of handbell tune ringing
- To endeavour to bring handbell tune ringers into contact with each other, to foster the exchange of ideas and to provide a forum for discussion and the practical advancement of the Art
MEMBERSHIP: Membership is open to all who express an interest in handbells. We have a core membership of 12 at the moment.
AGE GROUP: The age group is from 14 years upwards, with the proviso that, Schools, Guides, Brownies, Rock Solid, Jam or any Youth organisation – can arrange to have hands on demonstrations with the proviso that their leaders, teachers (one adult to 4 children under the age of 14) accompany them and at least two members of ‘The Bells of St Ninians’. Our group is ecumenical and non-political.
- CHAIRPERSON: Kath Bentley Brawglen Dunreggan Moniaive Telephone 01848 200496
- TREASURER: Frances Dunse Inglis House Moniaive
- EXPERIENCE: None, if you can count the beats and keep in time you are almost there. However, it does help if you can read music. Our Musical Directors are: Muriel Young and Elna Wilson.
- MEETING PLACE: St Ninian’s Church Moniaive
- DAY: Monday evenings
- TIME: 7.30pm to approximately 9pm
- SUMMARY: Over the years we have participated in local events, our own Church Special and Family Services/Moniaive Folk Festival/Moniaive has Talent/Penpont Christmas Concert/Kirkmahoe Church/Dumfriesshire Trefoil Guild and Thornhill Christmas Outdoor Market/entertained the Zambian Visiting Group, all with a measure of success.
Anyone wishing to join, please contact Kath Bentley Telephone 01848 200496 – all are welcome